Monday, April 13, 2009

Morehead City/Atlantic Beach, NC


Wow, I'm behind and there's a lot to write about. So, We arrived at my uncle Woody's house, and got a good night sleep (it's irrelevant, but I have to mention that he has a hook for a right arm). We got up Sunday Morning, and went to the Easter Sunday service at the St. Francis by the Sea Episcopal Church. It was on an island, which was part of the Southern Outer Banks. It was a very nice service, although very short. I think that was because they had to finish in time for the second service at 11:00. After the service, we decided to go to Fort Macon. When we got there, luckily, it was free. It was built in the 1800s, and was used for the Civil War (they call it the War Between the States), the Spanish American War, and WWII. It was a great place, and we all enjoyed it. It had a great setup, which was why we liked it so much. In each bunk room, there was an exhibit where you press a button, and a soldier comes on the speaker and talks to you about the exhibit. This allowed us to get a great idea of what it was like to be a soldier there. We learned a lot from Fort Macon, and I could probably write a ton on it, but I don't really think that's very necessary here. After the fort, we went to the beach (Atlantic Beach). I stuck my feet in the water, just to say I did, and I'll do it again in the Pacific!!! Towards the end of the day, we went to a beachwear shop to pick up a bathing suit. While we were in there, a man ran in saying that there was a car stuck on the beach. We went back on the beach, and sure enough, there it was! Some idiot was riding around on his jet ski, and tried to pull it out with his Hummer. He backed down onto the beach, and got it stuck. A couple different pickup trucks tried to pull him out, and of course, they almost got stuck themselves. It was a tremendous sight to see. We wanted to see the end result, but it got too late, and we had to go back and eat dinner. The next day (today, April, 13th) we went to the North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores. It was a small aquarium, but it had the largest aquarium tank in North Carolina. We saw a live dive, and a snake presentation. Now we're driving to Colombia, where we'll stay with a friend of my mom's for the night, and then drive to Atlanta where we'll stay with my cousin Katherine.

No comments:

Post a Comment